Cody Legebokoff files appeal of four first-degree murder convictions
READ MORE: A serial killer who terrorized the Prince George community back in 2009 is appealing his conviction. Cody Legebokoff was sentenced to life with no chance of parole for 25 years — for the murders of four young women. Julia Foy reports.
Cody Legebokoff, who was convicted of four counts of first degree murder last year, has filed an application to appeal.
His lawyers made the filing in Prince George court today, along with an application of extension of appeal.
In their notice, Legebokoff’s lawyers said there had been two different miscarriages of justice.
“There was a miscarriage of justice relating to the content and the date of release of the ruling on the change of venue application,” they wrote.
“There was a miscarriage of justice relating to a violation of the appellant’s Charter right to be represented by counsel of his choice throughout the proceedings.”
It was on September 16, 2014 that Legebokoff was found guilty of killing four women around Prince George within a 14-month span in 2009 and 2010.
READ MORE: ‘I couldn’t be there for her’: Father of teen murdered by Cody Legebokoff speaks
Doug Leslie, whose 15-year-old daughter Lauren was one of the four killed, believes there is no chance Legebokoff will win the appeal.
“It’s probably going to take a couple of years to get it to where they even say no to him or whatever. But he’s such a narcissist and sociopath that he just has no idea what life is all about and he just wants to hurt people,” he said.
“This is actually a good thing that he’s filing for appeal. Because the public is going to know about that and they’re going to become more aware of what he really is, and there are more people like him out there. This is what, and will and does happen. So, you know on a positive note, that’s the way you gotta look at it.”
© 2015 Shaw Media