SPALLUMCHEEN – They’ve been fighting it since it was first proposed.
Now that a quarry is up and running in their neighbourhood, a Spallumcheen couple says the operation is impacting their quality of life.
“For me to have that constant noise to me it moves me back inside my house. I don’t even want to be here,” says Debbie Marriott.
Read More: Hard fight against Spallumcheen rock quarry
Get daily National news
The Marriotts say one of the quarry’s permit conditions was also broken earlier this month when work went ahead on a weekend. They heard drilling on a Saturday earlier this month. A quarry permit for the operation says only occasional hauling for emergencies is allowed on Saturdays. The quarry’s owner says it happened by mistake.
“The driller worked there for a few hours, maybe three, one Saturday in the last seven months by mistake,” says owner Bruce Schartner.
The company contracted to do the work says the permits are not the same for all jobs and projects got mixed up. Schartner says only work allowed under the permit will be done on Saturdays going forward. He was also asked about the Marriotts’ concerns that noise and traffic from the quarry are impacting their quality of life.
“We are not hauling any more product in the valley than what is hauled now, just from our quarry instead of elsewhere, and of course nobody wants any progress in their backyard,” says Schartner. “They are justified by that.”
The Ministry of Energy and Mines says an inspector has warned the quarry’s owner that a stop work order will be issued if unauthorized work occurs again on a weekend.
- After tragedy, Lapu Lapu victims were victims of ‘snooping’ at hospitals: report
- Rockslide closes Highway 93 between B.C. and Alberta until at least noon on Thursday
- B.C. Office of the Seniors Advocate addresses impact of 2026 provincial budget
- $10-a-day daycare program paused in order to stabilize, B.C. government says
Comments
Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.