June 30, 2014 8:54 am
Updated: June 30, 2014 11:24 am

Extensive damage after house fire in Saskatoon

House extensively damaged in Saskatoon Sunday evening by fire caused by careless disposal of cigarettes.

Luke Banville / Global News

SASKATOON – A house has been extensively damaged after a fire Sunday evening in Saskatoon.

Firefighters were call to a duplex at 1528 Ave. H North just before 8 p.m. after a 9-1-1 call reported there were flames on the roof.

Crews arrived to find the roof fully engulfed in flames and heavy smoke.

An aggressive exterior attack was started and a search of the house came up empty.

No one was home at the time of the blaze and the other side of the duplex was evacuated as a precaution.

It took firefighters 30 minutes to bring the fire under control.

Fire investigators have determined the fire was started by the careless disposal of cigarettes.

Damage is estimated at $250,000.

Report an error


Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.