May 22, 2014 8:02 pm
Updated: May 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Warning issued, after 2 dogs killed by sausage soaked in antifreeze


CALGARY- A Calgary family is devastated, after two of their longtime family pets died within a day of each other—both from antifreeze poisoning.

Ashley Tammi says that around 7:30 on Tuesday night, her family’s three dogs were let into their backyard in Patterson to relieve themselves before bed. The pets were only outside for about 10 or 15 minutes, but when they were let back in 9-year-old Max, a sheltie, began vomiting everywhere.

Tammi’s mother and sister rushed him to a veterinary clinic, where they received shocking news: Max had been poisoned.

Story continues below

“When he was throwing up, there were chunks of already cut up sausage, and that’s not food that we give our dogs, and they were able to figure out that that’s how the antifreeze got into their system,” Tammi said.

“The sausage was soaked in it.”

That led the family to bring their two other dogs in to the clinic. It turned out that Phoebe, an eight-year-old golden-doodle and Bailey, a five-year-old beagle, had also been poisoned.

Sadly, Max had to be put down on Wednesday afternoon. Phoebe died around 11:30 a.m. on Thursday.

Bailey, the only surviving dog, is still being treated, but vets are optimistic about her recovery. The heartbroken family is now left searching for answers, about how this could have happened.

Bailey is recovering, after eating sausages soaked in antifreeze.


“The only way to do it is intentionally leaving it in our backyard, because it’s the only time our dogs aren’t supervised,” Tammi said. “When I talked to the veterinarian, she said she’s heard of this before, how people will soak meat in antifreeze and leave it at dog parks.”

She adds they have no clue about who is responsible.

“We’ve never had people complain, we’ve never even had people come to our door or anything. So we have no idea. No one sticks out to us at all.”

The Calgary Police Service confirms that they are investigating the case, and the Humane Society also has a file open.

The Tammi family is now going door-to-door, warning those who live in the area to be on alert.

“Anybody that we know in the neighbourhood that has dogs, me and my family have actually gone to their door and explained what happened and told them ‘if you see your dog eat something that you didn’t give them, watch for the signs.’ Because the sooner you see the signs, the sooner you can get treatment.”

As for what she would say to whoever killed her beloved pets, Tammi says she doesn’t think she has any words.

“I don’t even want to believe that a person like that exists. I’m just angry.”

Report an error


Comments closed.

Due to the sensitive and/or legal subject matter of some of the content on, we reserve the ability to disable comments from time to time.

Please see our Commenting Policy for more.