Suspected carbon monoxide poisoning kills 3 in Brampton

ABOVE: A tragic mistake claims the lives of three family members, and leaves a community devastated. Global’s Laura Zilke reports. 

TORONTO – A mother, her husband and son are dead following a suspected carbon monoxide poisoning incident at a home in Brampton early Monday morning.

Police say they received a 9-1-1 call at a residence on Linden Crescent near Dixie Road and Howden Boulevard around 2 a.m.

Two people found inside the home were pronounced dead at the scene while another person was taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries and died shortly after.

READ MORE: Carbon monoxide detectors mandatory in Ontario homes

Two others suffered minor injuries and were transported to hospital as a precaution.

The three deceased are a 59-year-old female, her 60-year-old husband and 36-year-old son.

Story continues below advertisement

The two others are a 56-year-old male and 66-year-old male.

Police say a 29-year-old male called authorities after returning home early in the morning.

“When the son came home, an alarm was going off, so they did have a carbon monoxide alarm,” said Peel police Constable Fiona Thivierge. “The people that are deceased are the people who were in the upper level of the residence.”

“The ones that are now in good condition were the ones in the lower level.”

WATCH: Peel police provide the latest update on their investigation into the suspected carbon monoxide poisoning 

One of the victims’ cousin told reporters on scene that everyone in the home is related.

“People in the basement, one was a long time friend of my cousin, always lived with him. The other guy is his brother,” said Alvin Rampersaud.

Story continues below advertisement

He also said the family owned a popular eatery called the Calypso Hut Restaurant on Queen Street East in Brampton.

“They were a loving family,” Rampersaud said. “We’re in a state of shock, we’re horrified at what’s happened.”

WATCH: Global’s Liem Vu spoke with the cousin of the man believed to have been killed in a suspected carbon monoxide leak 

Police say “a couple of propane heaters” were found in the home and is believed to be the cause of the carbon monoxide poisoning.

“My understanding is that the family’s furnace for whatever reason had stopped working earlier yesterday and that they made a decision to bring in a couple of propane heaters,” said Cst. Thivierge.

Police say the coroner’s office has taken over the investigation and will determine the exact cause of death of the victims.

Story continues below advertisement

“There’s always a potential for leaks from the propane and they use them to heat the house,” Cst. Thivierge said.

“We do caution people when you’re doing these types of things to be really careful because this type of outcome is not what you want to see.”

Sponsored content