Advertisement

Border Patrol commander Greg Bovino leaving Minnesota after 2nd fatal shooting

Click to play video: 'Protests erupt outside Bovino’s Minnesota hotel after fatal shooting of Alex Pretti'
Protests erupt outside Bovino’s Minnesota hotel after fatal shooting of Alex Pretti
Protests erupted outside the hotel Greg Bovino was staying in Monday evening after he was removed from his role as the U.S. Border Patrol’s (USBP) “commander-at-large.” Bovino has faced mass scrutiny for defending USBP agents who wrestled and shot dead intensive care nurse Alex Pretti on Jan 24, 2026 – Jan 27, 2026

Border Patrol commander Gregory Bovino is set to leave Minnesota Tuesday as the Trump administration shakes up its immigration enforcement tactics in the state after another fatal shooting of an American citizen by a federal agent and mounting resistance from the public.

President Donald Trump said he was stationing his border czar, Tom Homan, in charge, after Bovino drew heavy criticism for claiming that Alex Pretti, who was shot dead on Saturday, three weeks after Renee Good was killed by an ICE agent, had been planning to “massacre” law enforcement.

Click to play video: 'White House blames Alex Pretti’s death on ‘deliberate and hostile resistance’ by Walz, Frey'
White House blames Alex Pretti’s death on ‘deliberate and hostile resistance’ by Walz, Frey

Homan will report directly to the White House.

Story continues below advertisement

A person familiar with the matter told The Associated Press that Bovino is among the federal agents leaving Minneapolis.

Bovino has led numerous immigration crackdowns in major U.S. cities that have prompted mass demonstrations, including in Los Angeles, Chicago, Charlotte and Minneapolis.

Saturday’s killing of Pretti, which happened the day after Minnesotans called a general strike in protest of ICE, ignited further political backlash from the public, local officials, civil rights advocates and congressional Democrats, who raised fresh questions about the way the federal agency conducts its operations and doubled down on demands that agents leave the state.

People protest against Federal immigration agents on Friday, Jan. 23, 2026, in Minneapolis. (AP Photo/Angelina Katsanis). DK AK

“The President must end this operation. Pull the thousands of violent, untrained officers out of Minnesota. Now,” Walz added. Trump wrote in a social media post, “We, actually, seemed to be on a similar wavelength.” Walz, in another statement, said his call with Trump was “productive.”

Story continues below advertisement

Minneapolis mayor Jacob Frey said Monday that he had spoken with President Trump and, during their conversation, reminded him of the contributions immigrants have made to the city while asking that ICE operations be halted.

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

Get breaking National news

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.
By providing your email address, you have read and agree to Global News' Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.

“The president agreed the present situation can’t continue,” he wrote on X.

Trump also addressed the phone call, writing on Truth Social that he had a “very good” phone conversation with Frey.

“Lots of progress is being made!” he added.

Trump also said Homan will meet with Frey on Tuesday to continue the discussions.

Story continues below advertisement

News of Bovino’s departure didn’t stop dozens of protestors from gathering outside a hotel where they believed he was staying, where they blew whistles, banged pots, and one person blasted a trombone. Police watched and kept them away from the hotel entrance.

Bovino has also been under scrutiny for his attire, particularly his jacket, which some outlets, including The Guardian and the New York Times, have likened to the uniforms worn by German officials under Hitler, a comparison Bovino has denied, and said was a “double standard phenomenon (DSP) surrounding the Border Patrol issued overcoat.”

US Customs and Border Protection Commander Gregory Bovino (C) stands flanked by fellow federal agents during a protest against ICE outside the Bishop Whipple Federal Building in Minneapolis, Minnesota, on January 15, 2026. Octavio JONES / AFP via Getty Images) / ALTERNATE CROP

Who is Tom Homan?

Homan, 64, began his career as a police officer in 1984 in New York City, later serving as a border patrol agent in California before joining ICE when it was created in 2003 as the Assistant Special Agent in Charge in Dallas, Texas.

Story continues below advertisement

He headed up ICE’s Enforcement and Removal Operations arm during the Obama administration.

Homan remained at ICE during Trump’s first presidential term and was appointed border czar in November 2024.

“I will run the biggest deportation operation this country’s ever seen,” Homan said upon his appointment.

Earlier this month, Homan, a proponent of ICE’s recent tactics in Minnesota, said in an X post that Good’s death was a “tragic example” of what happens when “hateful rhetoric and violent attacks against the men and women of ICE and BP” take place.

— With files from the Associated Press

Advertisement

Sponsored content

AdChoices