The playoff schedule for the men’s hockey tournament at the Sochi Winter Olympics is all but done, with just the biggest game in the tournament left to play.
Latvian netminder Kristers Gudlevskis played the game of his life, stopping 55 of Canada’s 57 shots. The Canadians managed to score with seven minutes to go in the third period.
The gold medal game will see Canada play Sweden after the Canadians beat the U.S. 1-0 in a nail-biting game. The Swedes beat Finland in a sleepy, methodical game earlier on Friday.
Finland went on to win the bronze medal, beating a dispirited U.S. squad 5-0.
Qualifying round – Tues. Feb. 18
- Slovenia vs Austria – Slovenia beat Austria 4-0
- Russia vs Norway – Russia beat Norway 4-0
- Switzerland vs Latvia – Latvia beat Switzerland 3-1
- Czech Republic vs Slovakia – Czechs beat Slovakia 5-3
Quarterfinals – Wed. Feb. 19
- Sweden vs Slovenia – Sweden won 5-0
- Finland vs Russia – Finland won 3-1
- Canada vs Latvia – Canada won 2-1
- USA vs Czech Republic – USA won 5-2
Semifinals – Fri. Feb. 21
Bronze medal game – Sat. Feb. 22
- Finland vs USA – Finland won 5-0
Gold medal game – Sun. Feb. 23
- Canada vs Sweden @ 7am ET