CALGARY – A well-known ranching family in Cochrane has suffered a tragic start to the new year, after fire destroyed their home.
Fire crews from Redwood Meadows, Rocky View County and Cochrane were called to the LJ Ranch around 7 p.m. on Wednesday. When they arrived, they found the fire was burning out of control inside the home.
One woman who was inside at the time managed to escape without injury. However, the home has been completely destroyed.
LJ Ranch is a working cattle operation owned by the Eklund family. Cochrane Community Midwives, which also operates out of the house, has lost everything as a result of the blaze.
They reported the loss on their Facebook page, saying:
“Sad news tonight, the news reports are correct, Joy West-Eklund and Lindsay Eklund’s home was lost in a house fire tonight. All the people and pets are unharmed, but the same cannot be said for Joy and Lindsay’s home. Thank you everyone for your kind words and prayers.”
The fire was extinguished on Wednesday night, but sparked up again early Thursday morning. Global News arrived on scene around 7:30 a.m. and were forced to call 911 when it became evident some hotspots had started.
So far there is no word what sparked the fire.
There is also no word on a damage estimate.