Man who brought loaded gun used to kill Ontario girl gets 7 years in prison

Click to play video: 'Man who brought loaded gun used in death of Hamilton girl gets 7 years in prison'
Man who brought loaded gun used in death of Hamilton girl gets 7 years in prison
Det. Sgt. Steve Bereziuk of Hamilton Police's homicide unit reflects on a court decision that sent a man to prison for seven years after the firearm the accused brought to a small party in 2020 caused the death of a young woman – Feb 22, 2024

A man has been given seven years in prison for his role in the fatal shooting of a Hamilton teen almost four years ago.

Cadence Beauparlant, 23, received the sentence Thursday after pleading guilty to unauthorized possession of the loaded firearm, used in the death of 17-year-old Myah Larmond at a home in 2020.

Justice Toni Skarica insisted Beauparlant’s “reckless and stupid” possession of a Glock firearm was key in Larmond’s death.

The judge repeatedly brought up a rise in gun violence across the GTHA and in a prelude to his decision suggested the sentence had to be between five and seven years.

Skarica also said Beauparlant’s subsequent “despicable and cowardly flight” from the scene displayed “a cold and insensitive action” that was “hard to comprehend.”

Larmond was found by police at a St. Matthews Avenue home near Barton Street around 4:30 a.m. on July 15, 2020 with a gunshot wound.

Story continues below advertisement

She succumbed to her injuries not long after being transported to Hamilton General Hospital.

According to an agreed statement of facts, Beauparlant brought the loaded Glock handgun to a small party at the residence, where several people would pass it around.

Larmond was shot after accused boyfriend Devante Skye-Davis jokingly pointed the gun at her head and it went off.

Skye-Davis pleaded guilty to one count of manslaughter last week.

The Crown had been seeking a five-year sentence for Beauparlant, in addition to the nearly four-year sentence he is currently serving time for drug-related offences.

Beauparlant’s counsel had pitched a sentence of 18 months to two years.

A statement from Larmond’s family lamented the young girl’s demise saying “there is no victory great enough” for their loss.

“What happened in the courtroom today was very powerful,” the note read.

“Hopefully this results in stiffer penalties for possessing illegal firearms. With the sentence imposed today, we believe a message has been sent out loud and clear.”

Outside of Sopinka Court after the decision, Det. Sgt. Steve Bereziuk of Hamilton Police’s homicide unit characterized the seven years as “precedent-setting” with a “strong stance” on gun violence.

Story continues below advertisement

“It surrounds the reckless and careless use of a firearm in bringing something like that to a party where it has absolutely no business,” Bereziuk said.

“I think that’s where the message comes from today.”

Skye-Davis will appear at the Sopinka courthouse on May 3 for his sentencing.

Sponsored content