REGINA – The NDP has dropped two more candidates Saturday morning, saying they “crossed the line”.
Cameron Robock of Estevan and Terry Bell* of Walsh Acres have been let go from the NDP campaign for their social media posts.
“It is obvious there was a gap in the campaign’s vetting process, specifically related to social media.” -Cam Broten
Broten said he directed his campaign team to take a harder look at the online accounts of his candidates, and found “two instances that went beyond bad jokes and immaturity.”
Broten also fired campaign manager Frank Quennell, saying he wants “new campaign leadership”.
Chief of Staff Linsey Martens will take on the role of campaign manager.
Saskatchewan Party’s Deputy Premier Don McMorris says to his knowledge this sort of event is unprecedented.
“You know this is extraordinary, I’ve been involved in five elections in my career, this is the fifth and never have I seen anything like this,” McMorris said. “Five days in his party is in total disarray. Firing four candidates and the campaign manager really speaks to, I think, the leadership of Cam Broten.”
Cam Broten returned to the campaign trail Saturday afternoon making an announcement in Prince Albert. He pledged better education for First Nations and Métis children by closing the forty percent funding gap between Provincial and First Nations schools.
READ MORE: Sask. NDP lose second candidate in two days
Earlier in the week, Mark Jeworski of Weyburn stepped down as a candidate for the NDP for what he called “personal reasons”.
As well, Clayton Wilson of Saskatoon was also fired for his social media comments about “stupid farmers”.
*Terry Bell is a Shaw Media employee, and has been on leave since the campaign began.
© 2016 Shaw Media