Extreme cold warning for Saskatoon, Regina for -40 wind chills ends
UPDATE: All advisories mentioned in this story have ended
Environment Canada has issued an extreme cold warning for Saskatoon, Prince Albert, Regina and all of central and southern Saskatchewan for wind chill values making it feel like -40 or colder Saturday night into Sunday morning. The agency says cold arctic air is once again sweeping into southern Saskatchewan as a ridge of high pressure builds to the north.
In the warned area, overnight low temperatures are expected to fall back into the -30s as clear skies stick around.
With winds in the 15 to 25 km/h range will produce extreme wind chill values of -40 or slightly colder into Sunday morning.
A slight reprieve from the extreme cold is possible later Saturday night for east-central portions of the province as some cloud cover moves in from the north.
In general, however, the cold air and extreme wind chill values will linger across most of southern Saskatchewan through the rest of the weekend.
Temperatures will begin to moderate Monday as a weak disturbance pushes into the southwestern corner of the province.
Temperatures across the area will finally return to more normal values into the work week.
Extreme cold warnings are issued when very cold temperatures or wind chill creates an elevated risk to health such as frost bite and hypothermia.
Wind chill describes the felt decrease in air temperature on exposed skin caused by air flow. It is important that humans are aware of wind chill values because extreme cold conditions can cause frostbite, which is the freezing of skin.
At extreme wind chill values of -40 frostbite on exposed skin may occur in less than 10 minutes. At values below -50 frostbite may occur in less than five minutes.
Extreme cold warning ENDED for:
- Martensville – Warman – Rosthern – Delisle – Wakaw
- Prince Albert – Shellbrook – Spiritwood – Duck Lake
- Melfort – Tisdale – Nipawin – Carrot River
- Meadow Lake – Big River – Green Lake – Pierceland
- Humboldt – Wynyard – Wadena – Lanigan – Foam Lake
- Hudson Bay – Porcupine Plain
- Fort Qu’Appelle – Indian Head – Lumsden – Pilot Butte
- Estevan – Weyburn – Radville – Milestone
- Kamsack – Canora – Preeceville
- Yorkton – Melville – Esterhazy
- Carlyle – Oxbow – Carnduff – Bienfait – Stoughton
- Moosomin – Grenfell – Kipling – Wawota
- Outlook – Watrous – Hanley – Imperial – Dinsmore
- The Battlefords – Unity – Maidstone – St. Walburg
- Leader – Gull Lake
- Swift Current – Herbert – Cabri – Kyle – Lucky Lake
- Shaunavon – Maple Creek – Val Marie – Cypress Hills
- Moose Jaw – Pense – Central Butte – Craik
- Assiniboia – Gravelbourg – Coronach
- Kindersley – Rosetown – Biggar – Wilkie – Macklin
© 2016 Shaw Media