WINNIPEG — The relocation of rail lines in Winnipeg has taken a step forward.
The idea was proposed in the NDP’s throne speech last year. On Thursday, Premier Greg Selinger appointed former Quebec Premier Jean Charest as chair of a task force that will determine if this is even possible.
“This will be a different city without rail lines,” said Charest. “I’m excited for this opportunity.”
Part of Charest’s job will be to find out what it would cost to relocate some of the rail lines and determine which rail lines can be moved and which ones can’t.
The report could take a year or two to complete and will cost the province $400,000 to complete.
Mayor Brian Bowman says “this could change what we plan for the city.”
The city will still move ahead with building the Waverley Underpass because that’s a main line for CN and likely wouldn’t be moved but it could change whether the Marion Underpass is built or if the Arlington bridge needs to be rebuilt.
© 2016 Shaw Media