Scarborough subway extension plans to be released today
TORONTO – A technical briefing today will give Torontonians an idea of what’s on track for developing the Scarborough subway.
The city’s director of transportation planning will outline the plans as well as possible corridors and station locations.
The release of the report coincides with a new poll by Forum Research that shows the city is divided on whether a fourth stop on the line is worth an additional $100 million.
Among the 843 surveyed, 51 per cent said they are in favour of a fourth stop at that price.
The three stop extension already planned for the existing line is budgeted at $3 billion.
Scarborough city councillor Glenn De Baeremaeker brought up the idea of building an extra stop in December, however Toronto Mayor John Tory quickly nixed the idea earlier this month saying he’d prefer to stick with the original plan.
The city says public open houses will be held on Saturday, Jan. 31 and Monday, Feb. 2 for people to learn more about the project.
They will be held at Jean Vanier Catholic Secondary School between 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. and at the Scarborough Civic Centre from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. respectively.