IN THE NEWS…
- A former Supreme Court of Canada justice is to release a report today from his investigation into the use of lethal force by Toronto police. The probe by Frank Iacobucci was sparked by the killing of a teenager on an empty streetcar last summer. The report comes amid a lawsuit by the family of 18-year-old Sammy Yatim against the officer who shot him and another who tasered him as he lay dying.
- An Air Algerie flight from Burkina Faso to Algiers has disappeared from radar on a flight from Burkina Faso to Algiers, the official Algerian news agency said Thursday. Air navigation services lost track of the plane 50 minutes after takeoff early Thursday, last sited at 0155 GMT, the agency said.
- A two-alarm house fire kept crews active in the early morning hours. It started just after 2:30 a.m. when a house caught fire on Kennilworth Avenue near Queen and Woodbine. The blaze began with a car fire in the garage and was spreading to the house when fire crews stepped in to knock it down.
- Stem cell and bone marrow donations are critical for hundreds of people in Canada suffering from certain types of cancers or blood diseases. Right now there are approximately 800 people on the transplant list. Among them is 11-year-old Cierra Singh. Cierra has a rare blood disease called Myelodysplastic Syndrome.
- Dozens of containers holding remains of victims of the Malaysia Airlines crash were loaded aboard two military transports to go to the Netherlands Thursday on the second day of the airlift, while Australia’s government dispatched 50 police officers to London to prepare to join a proposed U.N. team to secure the crash site.
Sunny. Becoming a mix of sun and cloud this afternoon. High 24. UV index 8 or very high.
To get real-time weather for your area, download the Global News Skytracker weather app.
TRAFFIC AND TRANSIT
Roads: Click for the latest Toronto traffic.