Paul McCartney cancels Japan tour due to illness
TOKYO – Paul McCartney is cancelling his entire Japan tour because of illness.
The former Beatle got a virus last week and cancelled several appearances, apologizing online to his fans.
Now, his organizers say he is not well enough to do any of the concerts in Japan, including the one set for Wednesday at Nippon Budokan hall, where the Beatles performed during their first Japan tour in 1966.
The official site of McCartney’s Out There Japan Tour 2014 said his doctors are ordering him “complete rest.”
McCartney, 71, is still scheduled for a concert in Seoul on May 28 at Jamsil Sports Complex Main Stadium, followed by 19 U.S. performances.
In Japan, two weekend concerts in Tokyo, a makeup concert scheduled for Monday, and another in Osaka Saturday were all cancelled.
Tickets are being refunded from Thursday. The most expensive tickets cost 100,000 yen ($1,000) each. Some fans travelled from out of town for the concerts. Japanese are among the world’s most avid followers of Western pop music.
“I’d like to thank my Japanese fans for their love, messages of support and understanding,” McCartney said in a statement. “I hope to see you all again soon. Love, Paul.”
© 2014 The Associated Press