Watch above: Boko Haram’s leader said he’ll exchange some of the girls for the release of prisoners. Eric Sorensen reports.
A new video released by Islamic extremist group Boko Haram claims to show more than 100 girls kidnapped from a school in Nigeria last month.
Abubaka Shekau, Boko Haram’s leader, said the girls would be held until all imprisoned militants have been freed.
The video, released Monday, shows the girls wearing full-length hijabs in the 17-minute video obtained by French news agency Agence France-Presse.
Boko Haram abducted more than 250 girls in northern Nigeria on April 14 and threatened to sell them into sexual slavery.
The latest video alleges some of the girls have converted from Christianity to Islam, and shows them in a rural setting.
Boko Haram, who name means “Western education is forbidden,” has been waging a violent campaign against the Nigerian government since 2009.
In the wake of the mass kidnappings Nigeria’s government has been heavily criticized for its response and failure to accept international help.
Over the weekend rallies were held in cities around the world as protesters demanded the girls be released. First lady Michelle Obama on Saturday called the incident an “unconscionable act.”
The U.S. and other countries have sent teams of technical experts to assist in the government’s search effort.
© Shaw Media, 2014