TORONTO – One person was injured following a two-alarm fire at an apartment complex in St. James Town Monday morning.
Toronto Fire Services say the fire started just after 7 a.m. on a 19th floor unit at 200 Wellesley Street East.
A woman in her 50s was rescued by firefighters after being trapped on a 19th floor balcony. She was transported to hospital with smoke inhalation.
The fire marshal’s office has been called in to investigate.
The damage to the high rise is estimated at approximately $50,000.
It is the same building that went up in flames during a six-alarm fire in 2010 that forced 1,200 residents out of the 30-storey, 711-unit residential complex.
The cause of that fire was deemed to be from a cigarette and excessive amounts of combustible materials stored on the 24th-floor balcony where the fire started.