WATCH ABOVE: Stylist Afiya Francisco previews spring office essentials, each piece under $100
TORONTO – Spring can be a tricky season when it comes to fashion – especially when it still feels like winter in many parts of the country.
What to wear when the day can throw everything from wind, rain, snow, and maybe (if you’re lucky) sun your way?
Throw in office attire etiquette and many are at a loss when choosing their outfit.
Fashion tips: Spring office essentials
- Dress in layers. Try layering a lightweight blazer over a blouse or fine knit sweater
- Keep a small umbrella in your bag
- Bring a scarf. You’ll be happy to did in the chilly mornings and can easily stow it in your purse during the commute home
- Wear heavier fabrics in lighter spring colours
- Trade a heavier blazer for a denim jacket
- Pair colourful spring dresses with cold weather-appropriate outwear, such as a navy trench or over-the-knee boots
- Transition into spring fashion by showing a little skin, trade in chunky boots for nude pumps
Dressing in layers will help you navigate the warmer weathers and air conditioned office space with ease. Throw a ladylike cardigan over a brightly coloured spring dress. Adding a light-weight scarf will give you more coverage and help you transition from the cooler mornings into the warmer afternoons.
If your office allows shorts, transition into spring by pairing shorts with a structured blazer, says stylist Afiya Francisco.
“Although shorts inherently feel casual…to see it done in a suit shows that it really can be done in a way that’s appropriate for the office.”
Francisco says another bonus of the short suit is that the individual pieces can be broken apart and worn separately, so you’ll get a lot more mileage out of the outfit. If shorts aren’t appropriate in your office, wear the blazer with trousers, dark denim or a skirt.
© Shaw Media, 2014