WATCH: Rottweiler left hanging as leash gets caught in elevator
TORONTO – Tamara Seibert watched in horror as her Rottweiler Vado was lifted into mid-air, leash caught in a descending elevator.
“I thought I was going to watch him die,” Seibert told the Toronto Sun.
Miraculously, Vado was okay.
The entire incident was recorded on surveillance video which the 25-year-old Ryerson University student then posted her Facebook page.
Seibert said it happened March 2 inside her downtown Toronto condo unit as she was heading from the 11th floor to the parking garage.
The video shows Seibert entering the elevator with two dogs, the other her friend’s Pitbull, but one leash seems to get caught between the doors as they close.
Watch: A horrible elevator incident has dog owners keeping a close eye on their pet. Angie Seth reports.
When the elevator begins to head down, the 110-pound Rottweiler is lifted in mid-air near the top of the door while the owner frantically tries to free her pet.
On her Facebook post, Seibert described the event as “one of the most traumatic experiences of my life.”
She said the dog managed to free himself when the leash broke.
Seibert told the Toronto Sun two of her fingers were broken as she tried to save Vado.
“For all of those of you who think this was reckless on my part I’m not saying I didn’t make a mistake, I did! One in which I seriously regret,” she said on her Facebook page.
“But just to put things in perspective I’ve lived in my building for almost 5 years so my dog and I have taken the elevators approx. 4,000 times it’s so routine, you don’t think that anything could possibly ever go so wrong. The sad thing is this is way more common then I ever thought!”
Seibert wrote that one of the reasons she posted the video is to bring awareness to the risks elevators pose to pets and people if a leash or piece of clothing gets caught between elevator doors.