Advertisement

SWN Resources seeks longer injunction against shale gas protesters

A person protesting shale gas exploration stands on the side of a highway near Laketon, N.B. Brion Robinson/Global News

FREDERICTON – A company exploring for shale gas in New Brunswick is asking the courts to extend an injunction intended to keep protesters from interfering with their work.

SWN Resources will make its case in the Court of Queen’s Bench in Fredericton on Monday afternoon, just hours before an existing injunction granted last week expires.

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

Get breaking National news

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.
By providing your email address, you have read and agree to Global News' Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.

In its notice of motion, the company says the injunction, which includes a buffer zone around their equipment, has been effective but there have still been protests that have resulted in arrests.

It says security concerns and bad weather have meant the loss of three days work, and the company is unable to complete all of its seismic testing along Highway 11 by the end of Monday.

An anti-shale gas protest near Rexton turned violent last month when police enforced an injunction to halt the blockade of a SWN equipment compound.

Story continues below advertisement

Forty people were arrested and six police vehicles burned.

Sponsored content

AdChoices