Vancouver police said an 18-year-old man died early Saturday morning in a police-involved shooting at a park.
Officers were called around 2:15 a.m. after a 911 call reported hearing gunshots near the playground in Clinton Park, near Grant and Penticton streets in East Vancouver.
When officers arrived, they encountered a man with a firearm, police said.
Shots were fired and the suspect was shot by police, VPD confirmed.
He was rushed to the hospital but later died of his injuries.
Police said no officers were injured and no victims related to the initial 911 call were found.
“We don’t know if anyone was injured prior to this 911 call,” Const. Tania Visintin with the Vancouver police said Saturday.
Get breaking National news
“We had officers responding from all over the city… you can imagine, this is one of the worst calls for officers to go to.”
Visintin confirmed the suspect was not previously known to police and the investigation will determine who fired first or how many times shots were fired.
B.C.’s police watchdog remains at the scene with VPD officers, Saturday afternoon.
The Independent Investigations Office of B.C., the civilian watchdog that investigates serious matters involving the police, is called out when there is a police-related incident resulting in death or serious harm to a person.
The IIO is asking anyone with relevant information about this incident to contact the witness line toll-free at 1-855-446-8477 or via the contact form.
More to come.
- Tumbler Ridge school shooting victim set to hopefully return home soon from Vancouver hospital
- Anti-feminist ideology ‘increasingly relevant’ to national security: CSIS
- Shooting at Rhode Island ice rink kills 2 during youth hockey game: police
- Austria files terrorism charges in plot to attack Taylor Swift show
Comments
Comments closed.
Due to the sensitive and/or legal subject matter of some of the content on globalnews.ca, we reserve the ability to disable comments from time to time.
Please see our Commenting Policy for more.