Redwood Meadows residents warned to stay indoors after chlorine spill west of Calgary

Click to play video: 'Chlorine leak in Redwood Meadows sends one man to hospital'
Chlorine leak in Redwood Meadows sends one man to hospital
WATCH: Emergency crews were called to a dangerous chlorine spill west of Calgary at the Redwood Meadows water treatment plant. As Ina Sidhu reports, one worker was inside at the time and a warning was issued to people living nearby to stay indoors. – Apr 28, 2023

The Tsuut’ina Nation Police Service is warning residents of Redwood Meadows and the First Nation to stay indoors after a chlorine spill at the water treatment plant.

Alberta Health Services EMS told Global News one person was sent to a Calgary hospital in stable, non-life threatening condition following the spill.

The chemical spill happened Friday at 12:30 p.m.

Redwood Meadows Fire Chief Rob Evans said a water treatment plant employee reported the spill and he was having trouble breathing. Emergency crews found the man outside and began treating him.

“At this time, we are advising residents of Redwood Meadows and westside Tsuut’ina Nation residents to stay indoors and avoid low-lying areas where the likelihood of exposure may occur,” a Tsuut’ina police statement reads.

Story continues below advertisement

The First Nation officials said they are working with Redwood Meadows Fire and EMS to go door-to-door to residents within 50 metres of the water treatment plant.

The latest health and medical news emailed to you every Sunday.

At around 3 p.m., Tsuut’ina police warned area residents that while the water is safe to drink, officials are shutting off the water until further notice.

Evans said the company contracted to operate the water treatment plant wasn’t able to restart operations after the spill.

“Because of that, we’ve had Calgary hazmat crews come out for us to provide mutual aid,” the fire chief said. “What they have is the expertise in hazardous materials, as well as the more sophisticated equipment to mitigate that scene.

Story continues below advertisement

“So we are providing a support role for Calgary hazmat crews.

According to the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety, chlorine is described as a green-yellow gas with a pungent odour. It is corrosive to the respiratory tract and can be fatal if inhaled. It also causes severe skin burns and eye damage.

If inhaled, the CCOHS advises the victim should be moved to fresh air and be placed in a position to make it easy to breathe.

Clothing that may have chlorine on it should be immediately removed.

Any skin that may have been exposed to chlorine should be washed as quickly as possible with large amounts of soap and water, and eyes should be flushed with large amounts of water.

Redwood Meadows is located approximately 35 kilometres west of Calgary.

More to come…

Sponsored content