French Mastiff dies after ingesting large amount of poison, Ontario police plead for info

Bain, a two-year-old French Mastiff. via OPP_WR/Twitter

A beloved family pet is dead and police in Ontario are appealing to the public for information after tests showed the dog had ingested a large amount of poison.

Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) said Thursday that Bain, a two-year-old French Mastiff, was rushed to a veterinary hospital in the Waterford area, north of Port Dover, just after 1:30 p.m. on March 16, where he was pronounced dead.

“As a result of further tests conducted by the hospital, the OPP have just been informed that the animal had ingested a large amount of poison,” said Const. Ed Sanchuk on Thursday.

Police believe that Bain was intentionally poisoned and Sanchuk says they are 100 per cent certain the dog picked it up in its own yard.

Story continues below advertisement

“I can’t go into too many details with regard to the investigation, however, we are seeking public assistance with this,” Sanchuk said.

“We are asking anyone that lives in the area of Bruce Street in Waterford, if they have video surveillance or if they know someone that has spoken about this … please give us a call, we’d like to hear from them.”

Story continues below advertisement

Sanchuk said he spoke with Bain’s owner and said he is “still visibly upset, physically upset with what’s happened to their family pet.”

“I spoke to him yesterday and [he was] very upset,” Sanchuk said.

“You know, this isn’t just a dog, this is a family member and regardless … it’s more than just a pet.”

The investigation is ongoing and anyone with information can reach out to OPP or Crime Stoppers.

Sponsored content