Metis Nation-Saskatchewan (MNS) President Robert Doucette told reporters Monday it’s been “a banner year” for the organization, and rejected calls by a majority of Metis area directors for his resignation.
“I’m proud of the many accomplishments, and this nation is only getting started,” Doucette said during a news conference at the MNS offices on Jessop Avenue in Saskatoon.
Last week, nine of the 16 area directors for the MNS called for the resignation of Doucette and vice-president Allan Morin. They said the pair wasn’t being accountable and hadn’t held enough meetings to discuss various issues.
Doucette said there have been regular meetings with frequent updates from the executive. He said the MNS is in its best position in years, and said the disgruntled directors may be angry because they didn’t get the plum portfolio assignments.
But area director Helene Johnson, one of those who called for the resignations, said Doucette and his small inner circle have not revealed key information about MNS finances.
“I want to know what’s going on. I want the books opened,” said Johnson, who also attended the news conference.
“I don’t know how that money’s being spent.”
Comments