Over the course of the COVID-19 pandemic wastewater detection became a key way to track the spread of the virus.
Dr. Theresa Tam says the experts at the National Microbiology Lab have now discovered a promising approach to detect monkeypox in wastewater and will use the infrastructure developed during the pandemic look for it.
How that monitoring fits into the Public Health Agency of Canada surveillance efforts on monkeypox is not yet clear.
Tam says wastewater detection is still imperfect but there’ is a lot of innovation happening now and the public health agency is looking for the best method to help standardize the process in Canada.
– With files from The Associated Press
- Kate Middleton, King Charles named as Archie’s alleged skin-tone questioners in Dutch ‘Endgame’ tell-all
- Friends fur-ever: Can this new drug help your big dog live longer?
- Canada rolls out new 988 suicide crisis helpline. Here’s how it works
- Create breast implant registry, health committee says in new report