Advertisement

Grease fire cause of blaze that claimed young life in Osoyoos: fire official

Click to play video: 'Young man who perished in devastating fire remembered' Young man who perished in devastating fire remembered
Friends and co-workers are mourning the loss of a young man who died in a devastating house fire in Osoyoos on New Year's Day. Shelby Thom reports. – Jan 5, 2021

Officials have confirmed that an accidental grease fire was the cause of a fatal fire in Osoyoos, B.C., on New Year’s Day.

Jasper Braga, 22, was killed in the devastating fire that occurred at his family’s home on 89th St., just before 10 p.m.

“The fire was accidentally caused by cooking, and the burn patterns were typical of what we see in oil fire spills,” Osoyoos deputy fire chief Tyler Hilland said in an email.

Read more: ‘A kind soul’: Young Osoyoos man who perished in devastating fire remembered

“Crews quickly made entry when they confirmed there was an occupant still inside, and were able to retrieve and recover him within three minutes of entering the building,” the Osoyoos fire department’s other deputy fire chief, Ryan McCaskill, told Global News earlier this week.

Story continues below advertisement

But Braga, who went by J.B., tragically succumbed to his burn injuries later in hospital.

Braga’s father, who is also named Jasper Braga, sustained serious burn wounds in the fire.

Click to play video: 'B.C. man recognized with bravery award for risking life to help save people from burning home' B.C. man recognized with bravery award for risking life to help save people from burning home
B.C. man recognized with bravery award for risking life to help save people from burning home – Dec 16, 2020

The senior Braga is recovering in intensive care in Kelowna. A family member told Global News that his life-support tube was recently removed.

The family of three moved to Osoyoos from the Philippines in 2017.

The junior Braga worked at A&W in Osoyoos, and his friends and co-workers are grappling with the loss.

Read more: Structure fire in South Okanagan on New Year’s Day turns fatal

“It was very hard when we all heard the news. But as a family does, we support each other,” said manager Natasha Pires.

Story continues below advertisement

“He was a soft soul, he was always there for anyone.”

Hergot Singh said they were close friends.

“He’s a really kind guy. I can’t even believe right now he’s no more; it still feels like a dream or something,” he said.

Click to play video: 'Fire at empty West Kelowna building being demolished' Fire at empty West Kelowna building being demolished
Fire at empty West Kelowna building being demolished – Dec 16, 2020

The community is rallying around the family.

The Osoyoos Gift Cupboard is collecting gift-card donations at AG Foods in Osoyoos, where the senior Braga works.

Fire officials are reminding the public to not apply water to grease fires.

“When cooking, always have a lid nearby to cover a pot if it catches fire,” Hilland said.

“Do not apply water to an oil or grease fire, as this will cause rapid expansion of the fire.”

Advertisement

Sponsored content