Third person charged after “very savage” series of attacks in central Edmonton
EDMONTON- Investigators have charged a third person with attempted murder in connection with an aggravated assault on Saturday.
Monday, the Edmonton Police Service revealed 21-year-old Jesse Bergey was charged with attempted murder.
Two men were previously charged with attempted murder following a violent series of alleged attacks early Saturday morning.
A 46-year-old Edmonton man remains in hospital with life-threatening injuries after allegedly being beaten by the men.
According to the Edmonton Police Service (EPS), the alleged beating was part of a string of crimes committed in the area of 110 Avenue and 96th Street around 2:45 a.m.
Staff Sergeant Malcolm Allan says the man heard a commotion outside his house which woke him up. He went outside to investigate and was confronted by two men in an alley behind his home. The man was severely beaten and suffered serious head injuries, according to Allan.
“This man’s injuries were essentially a fractured skull, multiple skull fractures,” Allan said, “severe brain bleeding.”
He was taken to hospital where he remained in serious, life-threatening condition Saturday afternoon.
From there, police say the suspects broke into an adjacent home where they robbed and assaulted a man inside. Allan says the homeowner told the suspects he had more money in his vehicle. The suspects then headed outside to the vehicle and the man was able to escape.
The suspects carried on, but were then seen by two security guards who were in the area on an unrelated matter. The security guards briefly began to follow the men.
The suspects split up and one of the men was caught by the EPS K9 Unit a short time later.
The second suspect continued along and reportedly broke into another home about a block away, through the bedroom window.
“He took to literally smashing his way through the master bedroom window,” Allan explained.
Allan says that homeowner, a man, was assaulted in his bedroom. However, Allan says the homeowner used a machete to defend himself and the suspect left the home after being hit in the head with the machete.
The suspect was caught by police about a block away.
Allan says this entire series of events happened in the span of about 15 minutes.
“It’s just a very bizarre and very savage sequence of events,” he said. “Fortunately, we have the two suspects in custody.”
The other two victims suffered injuries, but they were not life-threatening. They were both treated in hospital and released.
“Both of these other gentlemen were assaulted quite significantly… They’re both very shaken up, as you can imagine,” Allan explained. “They both genuinely feared for their lives.”
Sunday afternoon police confirmed Brian Bergey, 26, and Tyrone Isadore, 27, were charged with attempted murder.
“These individuals were known to police,” Allan said.
Isadore has also been charged with break and enter and commit robbery, and break and enter and commit assault.
Bergey has also been charged with two counts of breach of recognizance.
A third suspect was arrested on the weekend.
“We are still investigating it. There’s a possibility that more charges on more individuals will arise,” Allan added.