Missing for 50 years: Surrey woman found alive in the Yukon

Lucy Johnson more than 50 years ago.
Lucy Johnson more than 50 years ago. Surrey RCMP

A woman who was last seen in Surrey in 1961 has been found alive in the Yukon.

Surrey RCMP say this is one of their oldest missing person cases, and the last open file from 1965.

Lucy Ann Johnson was originally reported missing on May 14, 1965. Police later learned she was last seen by a neighbour in September 1961 in the 10300-block of 145A Street.

Police believed she may have met with foul play, especially given the time frame between her last sighting and the report into her disappearance, and conducted a thorough investigation. But they never solved the case.

Johnson’s daughter Linda did not give up however, and after the Surrey RCMP featured her mom’s case in the ‘Missing of the Month’ series, she placed newspaper ads in northern B.C. with information about the story and a photo.

Story continues below advertisement

A spokesperson for the RCMP says one of the people who saw the ad looked at the photo and identified the woman as her mother. Police said she had no idea her mom had a previous marriage and a family.

Surrey RCMP then spoke to police in the Yukon, and mother and daughter have been reunited once again.

Police say due to the sensitive nature of this case, they are providing few other details at this time, and are allowing the families space to get to know each other.

Lucy Johnson (nee: Carvell) was born on October 14, 1935 in Skagway, Alaska. She had previously lived in the Yukon from 1943 – 1952.

She married Marvin Johnson in Blaine, Washington, in April 1954 and they had two children, Linda (1954) and Daniel (1955). The couple moved several times around New Westminster before finally settling in Surrey in 1955 or 1956. Daniel has since passed away.

Marvin passed away in the late 1990’s without providing any further information on Lucy’s possible whereabouts. His family told police they are happy Lucy has been found as that clears any suspicion that Marvin was responsible for Lucy’s disappearance or death.

This is not the Surrey RCMP’s oldest missing person’s case however. Humphrey ‘Albert’ Wilkinson was last seen on January 23, 1957. He would be 84 years old now.


Sponsored content