Overland flooding in north-central Alberta has prompted officials to close a number of roads in Big Lakes County.
In an information alert issued Wednesday afternoon, county officials said the area “is experiencing heavy spring runoff conditions, which is causing overland flooding of low-lying areas from various rivers, streams and creeks within Big Lakes County.”
Flooding, and in some cases culvert washouts, prompted officials to implement the following road closures:
- Range Road 185 south from Township Road 742 to Township Road 740
- Range Road 180 at Highway 2 south
- Township Road 742 east from Range Road 160 to Range Road 154
- Township Road 742 west from Range Road 160 to Range Road 161
- Township Road 724 east of Highway 749 at Range Road 164
- Range Road 93 north of Highway 2
- Range Road 112 House Mountain Road at kilometre 23
- Township Road 742 west of Range Road 185
- Township Road 714 east of Range Road 163
- Township Road 750 east of Highway 750 to Range Road 152
- Township Road 755A
“We will continue to add to this list of road closures as we become aware of flooded conditions,” officials said.
Because of the hazards the flooding presents, people in the area are being asked to stay away from rivers, valley and low-lying areas.
“Do not move remove or drive around barricades,” officials said. “Do not travel on flooded roads which could be washing out.
“Listen for further updates from the county and follow the instructions that apply to your area.”
Anyone who comes across a flooded road in the county that has not yet been marked or barricaded is asked to call the county office at 780-523-5955.
Watch below: Some Global News videos about flooding and flood preparedness in Western Canada in the spring of 2020.
- Global Calgary’s Leslie Horton shuts down email body-shamer on live TV
- Ontario stay-at-home dad overwhelmed by ‘compassionate’ response to financial struggles
- How to know if you have salmonella as death toll rises from cantaloupe outbreak
- Alberta finance minister says he has not ‘flip-flopped’ on proposed pension change