Advertisement

Man charged in El Paso shooting that left 22 dead appears in U.S. federal court

Click to play video: 'Affidavit shows El Paso shooting suspect confessing he was targeting Mexicans' Affidavit shows El Paso shooting suspect confessing he was targeting Mexicans
WATCH: (From August 2019) Affidavit shows El Paso shooting suspect confessing he was targeting Mexicans – Aug 9, 2019

EL PASO, Texas — Lawyers for the suspect in a shooting at a Walmart in Texas that killed 22 people waived a federal bond hearing and the reading of the indictment Wednesday, as survivors of the attack teared up and consoled one another.

Patrick Crusius, of Allen, Texas, is already being held without bond on state charges. His attorneys waived a reading of his 90-count federal indictment in which he was charged with hate crimes in the shooting, which targeted Latinos in the border city of El Paso. He has also been charged with capital murder under Texas state law.

READ MORE: Man accused of killing 22 at El Paso Walmart facing federal hate crimes charges

Attorney David Lane asked a federal judge to waive a bond hearing for Crusius, 21, who is already being held without bond on the state charges under tight security at the El Paso County jail.

Story continues below advertisement

Crusius stood silently by Lane and showed no emotion as his attorney took questions from a federal judge.

In court documents that Lane filed shortly after, Crusius entered a not guilty plea.

Click to play video: 'El Paso heroes receive commendation for risking lives to stop Walmart shooter' El Paso heroes receive commendation for risking lives to stop Walmart shooter
El Paso heroes receive commendation for risking lives to stop Walmart shooter – Sep 9, 2019

The hearing opens a federal prosecution against Crusius that will parallel the capital murder case underway in state court.

County prosecutors in the state case are seeking the death penalty. Federal prosecutors told reporters last week that they were still deciding on what punishment to seek.

READ MORE: Here’s what we know about the suspected gunmen in the El Paso, Dayton shootings

The court appearance comes six months after the Aug. 3 shooting in the majority Hispanic city federal prosecutors say was the result of militant racism. They have said that Crusius carried out the attack in order to scare Latinos into leaving the U.S., a plot they allege he outlined in a screed published online shortly before the attack.

Story continues below advertisement

More than 20 people survived the shooting with injuries; some underwent surgery in recent months, and one is still in the hospital. Hundreds more have suffered psychological trauma either because they were present or because a loved one was wounded, according to local officials.

Click to play video: 'Hundreds show up to funeral of El Paso mass shooting victim with little to no family' Hundreds show up to funeral of El Paso mass shooting victim with little to no family
Hundreds show up to funeral of El Paso mass shooting victim with little to no family – Aug 17, 2019

Associated Press writer Jake Bleiberg in Dallas contributed to this report.

Sponsored content