Advertisement

Omemee home damaged after couch catches fire, fire chief says

WATCH: Damage is pegged at $50,000 following a house fire in Omemee on Monday afternoon.

Damage is pegged at $50,000 following a small house fire in Omemee on Monday afternoon.

Around 12:40 p.m., City of Kawartha Lakes Fire and Rescue Service firefighters were called to a reported structure fire at a home on Grassy Road.

READ MORE: Kingston house fire leaves young family displaced

District fire chief Dave Kish told Global News Peterborough that crews discovered a couch on fire inside the home.

Kish said the cause of the fire appears to be a heater which was located near the couch.

He said the fire was contained to the couch but the home has sustained heat and smoke damage. A front window also shattered due to the heat.

No one was home at the time, but a dog found inside was not injured, Kish said.

Story continues below advertisement

The animal was placed in a trailer in the driveway of the home until the homeowner arrived.

Concrete contractors rescue man from hotel room fire in Peterborough
Concrete contractors rescue man from hotel room fire in Peterborough