Edmonton Indian bistro reopens after AHS finds evidence of mouse infestation, other health infractions

Bukhara Indian Bistro was ordered on Oct. 3, 2019 to shut down after a number of violations were found by an Alberta Health Services inspector. The restaurant was open again by Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2019. Dean Twardzik, Global News

A south Edmonton Indian bistro that was ordered by Alberta Health Services to shut down after a public health inspector found a laundry list of violations has reopened.

The owner of Bukhara Indian Bistro in the area of 92 Street and 34 Avenue was given a verbal order by AHS on Oct. 3 to shut down. The order came after an inspection found several breaches of the Public Health Act, including food that had what appeared to be a “mold-like substance” on it, according to the notice of closure posted online earlier this month.

Other surfaces, including the cook line, counters and storage areas, were also covered in “grime and what appeared to be a mold-like substance,” the notice states.

Rodent droppings were found on the inside of the dough roller frame, the report states. The inspection also found “evidence of an extensive mouse infestation” in the restaurant.

Story continues below advertisement

“Fecal and urine contamination from a much larger rodent was observed – thought to be a wood vole or similar rodent,” read the report.

Dead and live flies were found in the bar, open food was not stored in pest-proof containers and no soap was available at the kitchen or bar sinks for handwashing, the inspector found.

The restaurant was to remain closed until work to clean it up had been completed “to the satisfaction of an executive officer,” AHS said.

The owner of the restaurant had 10 days to appeal the notice, although it’s not known if the owner filed an appeal.

A statement from Bukhara Indian Bistro management said the restaurant reopened on Oct. 8 “after all violations and concerns were resolved and addressed as per AHS orders.”

The statement said AHS inspected the facility on Oct. 8 and allowed the restaurant to reopen.

“We have provided food safety plan, daily & weekly kitchen/restaurant clean-up checklists. Kitchen staff has provided food safety course certificates to AHS and staff will be more compliant and paying more attention to AHS regulations. Owner is taking this issue seriously and customers health and safety is important to us,” the statement read.