A dog and its owner are being called heroes after Belleville firefighters say they raced into action to help save eight neighbours from a house fire.
Belleville firefighters got the call just after 3 a.m. Monday to respond to a fire at a duplex on Park Street South in Belleville.
Members of the fire department say a neighbour and his dog noticed a vehicle parked in the duplex’s driveway that was on fire and beginning to burn the side of the home.
He then ran into the home to alert the occupants, who were sleeping at the time, officials say.
Everyone got out safely, and several cats were also rescued.
Fire crews helped put out the stubborn blaze, but the roof was badly damaged and both floors suffered extensive smoke and water damage.
Fire officials could not pinpoint the cause of the car fire but say damage is upwards of $250,000.
Global News went to the neighbour’s house to ask for an interview, but no one was home at the time.