July 16, 2019 6:12 pm
Updated: July 16, 2019 6:14 pm

Marriot on Upper James evacuated after pool chemicals mixed improperly

Hamilton Fire hazmat teams were called out to the Marriot on Upper James Street near the Linc

Don Mitchell / Global News
A A

Hamilton Fire says hazmat teams were deployed Tuesday afternoon to the Marriott Hotel on Upper James Street near the Lincoln M Alexander Parkway after a hotel employee mixed some pool chemicals incorrectly.

Fire Chief Dave Cunliffe told Global News that they got the call just after 4:00 p.m.

READ MORE: Hamilton firefighters knock down two blazes on the mountain

“A person from the hotel inadvertently mixed a couple of chemicals together in a pail,” said Cunliffe, “It caused a bit of a reaction and created some off-gas.”

Cunliffe went on to say that the entire hotel was evacuated as a precaution and that crews began procedures to expedite ventilation of the area in question.

Two hotel employees were checked out by paramedics on scene, according to Cunliffe, and there were no serious injuries.

WATCH: French parliament approves reconstruction bill for fire-ravaged Notre Dame

 

 

 

© 2019 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.