The May long weekend is upon us, and with temperatures in the high teens expected, many of us will be enjoying three-days of barbecues, fireworks and relaxation.
The unofficial start to the summer also brings a holiday Monday and closures. Here’s what’s open and closed in Hamilton, Burlington and Niagara region on Victoria Day.
Hamilton Municipal schedule
Green bin, garbage and recycling: No collection on Monday. Pick-up will be one day later if it falls on or after the holiday. The city says all materials must be at the curb by 7 a.m.
HSR Bus: Transit will be operating on a Sunday/Holiday Schedule on Monday. Many routes will be operating with reduced frequencies while some routes will not be operating at all.
ATS-DARTS: Service will be operating with holiday service hours on Victoria Day. Subscription trips on DARTS, with the exception of dialysis, are cancelled for Monday. ATS customer service will also be closed on Monday.
Recycling Centres: Closed on Monday.
Administrative offices: The city’s administrative offices will be closed on Monday.
Recreation Centres: Modified hours on Monday including Bennetto, Central, Stoney Creek, Valley and Westmount.
Hamilton Civic Museums: Closed on Monday.
Tourism Hamilton Visitor Information Centre: Closed Monday.
Hamilton Public Library: Closed Sunday, and Monday.
Social Services: All Ontario Works offices, Career Development Centre, special supports, and the Housing Services office will be closed on Monday.
Senior Centres: Seniors Centres will be closed. However, some seniors clubs will be running including Club 60, Dundas, Main Hess, Rosedale, Warden Park and Winona Senior Club.
Arenas: Closed to public programming Monday.
Animal Services: Closed Sunday and Monday.
Canada Post: mail collection and delivery is cancelled for Monday.
WATCH: Fun facts about Queen Victoria
Burlington Municipal schedule
City hall will be closed on the holiday Monday, May 20, reopening Tuesday, May 21.
Administrative services, including the office of roads and parks maintenance, will be closed on the Monday — emergency services for maintenance will still be provided.
Pools, arenas, and community centres are closed except for the pool at Tansley Woods Community Centre which is open on Monday with adjusted hours.
Bronte Creek Provincial Park’s Spruce Lane Farmhouse is open 10:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.
Art Gallery of Burlington will be closed.
Roads, Parks and Forestry and Animal Shelter and Control will be closed Monday, but emergency services will be provided.
Halton Court Services will be closed on Victoria Day, as well as Provincial Offences Court.
Free parking is available in the downtown core, on the street, municipal lots and the parking garage.
Burlington Transit will be operating a holiday service schedule on Monday, while the administrative offices, including the downtown Transit Terminal and Handi-Van dispatch, will be closed.
Government offices, banks, municipal offices, facilities and most businesses will be closed on Monday.
Arenas, community centres, older adult centres, and pools are closed on Victoria Day.
Buses in Niagara Falls and St. Catharines will offer reduced holiday schedules. Welland Transit will not be running.
Garbage and recycling collection schedules are unaffected by the holiday.
Grocery Stores: Major grocery stores like Fortinos, Metro, Fresh Co. and No Frills will be closed on Monday.
Shoppers Drug Mart: Many locations will be closed on Monday. Except for:
- Hess Tower (Main Street): open 10:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. on Monday
- King Street West at Dundurn: open 8:00 A.M. to Midnight on Monday
- Main & Emerson: open at 8:00 A.M to Midnight on Monday
- Stoney Creek on King Street from 11:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. on Monday
- Glaeser on Wilson Street from 10:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M. on Monday
- Meadowlands in Ancaster from 10:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M. on Monday
- Russel on King Street from 10:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. on Monday
- University Plaza on Osler Drive from 10:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M. on Monday
- Fennell Square from 10:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M. on Monday
- Roseland Plaza open 8:00 A.M. to Midnight on Monday
- Plains Road East open 9:00 A.M to 10:00 P.M. on Monday
- Brant & Upper Middle open 10:00 A.M to 6:00 P.M. on Monday
- Headon Plaza open 8:00 A.M. to Midnight on Monday
- Appleby open 9:00 A.M to 10:00 P.M. on Monday
- Pelham Heath Centre open 9:00 A.M to 3:00 P.M. on Monday
- Victoria Plaza open 9:00 A.M to 8:00 P.M. on Monday
- Lundy’s Lane open 24 hours
- Montrose and Preakness open 8:00 A.M to 10:00 P.M. on Monday
- Town & Country open 10:00 A.M to 6:00 P.M. on Monday
Malls: All major shopping centres in Hamilton, Burlington, St. Catharines and Niagara falls including Lime Ridge Mall, Eastgate Square, The Centre on Barton, The Pen Centre, Fairview Mall, Mapleview, and Burlington Centre will be closed on Monday. However, some Greater Toronto area malls, as well as outlet malls in Niagara, will be open on Monday.
- CF Toronto Eaton Centre (11:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M.)
- Toronto Premium Outlets in Halton Hills (9:30 A.M. to 7:00 P.M.)
- Upper Canada Mall in Newmarket open Friday but closed Sunday (11:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M.)
- Pacific Mall in Toronto (11:00 A.M. to 8:00 P.M.)
- Canada One in Niagara Falls (10:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M.)
- Outlet Collection at Niagara Falls (10:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M.)
Walmart: All Walmarts will be closed on Monday.
The Beer Store: All stores closed on Victoria Day.
LCBO: All stores closed in Ontario on Monday.
- Movie theatres
- The Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Mount Hope
- Toronto tourist destinations such as The Hockey Hall of Fame, Ripley’s Aquarium, the CN Tower, Toronto Zoo.
- St. Catharines Museum and Welland Canals Centre
- Most Niagara Falls attractions will be running on the holiday Monday including the Voyage to the Falls Boat Tour, Journey Behind the Falls, Botanical Gardens, Butterfly Conservatory, and the Falls Illumination.
Dundas Driving Park – Sunday 9:30 P.M.
Summer Fireworks Series – Friday, Saturday, Sunday each fireworks display will take place at 10 P.M.