Legal battle involving Ontario government, Rob Ford and his sister’s ex-boyfriend ends
TORONTO – The Ontario government says a legal battle involving the province, the late Rob Ford and his sister’s ex-boyfriend has come to an end.
The Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services was one of the targets of a lawsuit filed by Scott MacIntyre, who alleged Ford conspired to have him attacked in jail so that he wouldn’t reveal the former Toronto mayor’s illicit activities.
MacIntyre was sent to jail in early 2012 after being charged with threatening Ford, who was still mayor then and had not yet publicly admitted to using crack cocaine.
He alleged security cameras in the area were “inexplicably disabled” before the attack and the guards stationed in the area didn’t help him.
Ford denied the allegations, arguing he did not have the ability to control the operations of a jail. He also said MacIntyre did not have any intimate knowledge of his habits.
A spokesman for the ministry said Tuesday the lawsuit was “dismissed on consent” on Feb. 13 but gave no further details, saying it would not be appropriate to comment.
Neither MacIntyre’s nor Ford’s allegations have been proven in court.
Ford died in 2016 after being diagnosed with a rare and aggressive cancer. He was 46.
His brother, the former Toronto city councillor and failed mayoral candidate Doug Ford, became premier and leader of the Progressive Conservatives last year.
© 2019 The Canadian Press