Advertisement

Calgary firefighters extinguish artificial Christmas tree someone put in fireplace

A file photo of a firefighter surveying the scene of an emergency call. .
A file photo of a firefighter surveying the scene of an emergency call. . The City of Calgary

Firefighters in Calgary say fake Christmas trees should not go in the fireplace.

Crews were dispatched to a multi-family residential building on Monday afternoon when smoke and heat set off an alarm in a hallway.

They say firefighters arrived to find smoke coming from a fireplace on the third floor.

READ MORE: Where to get rid of your Christmas tree in Calgary

It turned out the occupant started a fire in the wood-burning fireplace and then fell asleep.

All the smoke was from an attempt to burn an artificial Christmas tree in the fireplace.

Paramedics assessed one man in his 40s, but he was not taken to hospital.

READ MORE: Biologists recommend taking your Christmas tree to the backyard, not the curb

Story continues below advertisement