Advertisement

2 Durham students get ill after eating pot cookies in school

file photo of cookies.
file photo of cookies. flickr.com/photos/30478819@N08/27406621067

OSHAWA, Ont. – Police in Oshawa, Ont., say two students at a middle school fell ill after eating home-baked cannabis cookies.

They say one of the students took several cookies to the public school and ate them with a friend.

READ MORE: Ontario schools prepare for legalization of recreational marijuana

Both were taken to hospital for observation.

Officers say one of the students’ parents, who has a medical cannabis licence, had made the cookies for his personal consumption.

Police say the Children’s Aid Society will be contacted to conduct a review.

READ MORE: Some Toronto pot shops to stay open despite threat of prosecution

Police say they have taken the time to educate students, parents, caregivers and teachers about the dangers and risks of consuming drugs at such an early age.

Story continues below advertisement

The small community school has students from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 8.