Preliminary plans underway for new L’Île-aux-Tourtes Bridge as traffic woes continue
Preliminary plans are in the works for building a replacement to the L’Île-aux-Tourtes Bridge, Transports Québec officials said Friday.
Construction on the Highway 40 stretch connecting Vaudreuil-Dorion and Senneville has caused an increase in traffic as lanes have been reduced in either direction due to structural repairs, which have gone on for more than a year.
Work on the bridge is five months behind schedule.
“The maintenance work is to be sure to maintain the efficiency and the mobility of people and goods,” Transports Québec Spokesperson Martin Girard said.
“And to be sure the bridge is safe.”
Transports Québec says the complex task of placing hundreds of custom made steal beams under the bridge is the main reason for the delay.
The structural maintenance on the bridge is expected to be completed by the summer’s end, Girard said.
He said crews will continue to carry out repairs and maintenance work until a new bridge will be put in place.
So far $86.7 million has been spent on repairs. This year another $2.8 million will be added and $44.8 million more is planned.
Bringing the total repair costs to date at $134 million.
Girard says plans are in the works to replace the 53-year-old structure.
“Rebuilding a new bridge was the best option,” Girard said.
As for the logistics for the structure, Girard says it is too soon at the moment.
“There are still different analyses and studies that need to be done to know the calendar and the cost of the project,” Girard said.
© 2018 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.