An update has been released for Ontario’s first temporary overdose prevention site (TOPS).
The Middlesex-London Health Unit says the city’s new downtown TOPS is already having an impact on the local opioid drug crisis, just two weeks after its opening.
The update reveals the site, located on 168 King Street, has seen client tally rise from four on day one to 44 this past Tuesday.
Dr. Christopher Mackie, Medical Officer of Health and CEO at the MLHU, said in a release that he is pleasantly surprised with how the site has been operating.
Get weekly health news
“The stories coming out of this facility are truly inspiring and beyond what we could have hoped for,” said Mackie.
- ‘It’s heartbreaking,’ says Ontario First Nation amid 2nd evacuation this summer
- Congo to receive 70K doses of Ervebo Ebola vaccine used in past outbreaks
- Report says wait times in Quebec emergency rooms were 11 minutes shorter last year
- Ultra low emission zones linked to improved lung capacity in kids: UK study
MHLU added that staff and clients have not reported any concerns at the building. London police also say there has been a change in the level of activity in the area.
The site, the first of its kind in the province, shares its location with the regional HIV/Aids connection.
A similar permanent supervised drug consumption site is still in the works for London.
Comments
Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.