Residents of Unity, Sask., can now breathe a sigh of relief.
An investigation into a gas leak at a nearby waste disposal facility has concluded that compounds in the air on the evening of Jan. 2 were not hydrogen sulfide (H2S), a potentially deadly gas.
In a release from the Saskatchewan Ministry of Economy, air samples show the emissions were a mixture of petroleum hydrocarbons and sulfur-based compounds and this would explain the symptoms residents said they experienced.
According to the government, due to the low levels and short-term exposure to the compounds, no serious or long-term health effects are expected.
A full report on this incident is expected in the next several weeks and will outline what needs to be addressed to avoid a similar situation.
Unity is approximately 175 kilometres west of Saskatoon.