Advertisement

Weekend fire at Edmonton bakery caused $2.2M in damage

Firefighters called to battle blaze at commercial building in central Edmonton
WATCH ABOVE: At least 24 firefighters were called to a fire at a commercial building next to the Burger Baron in the area of 95 Street and 111 Avenue on Saturday morning.

Edmonton Fire Rescue Services says a weekend fire that destroyed Calico Baking was caused by “unattended cooking” on the electric burner of a hot plate and resulted in $2.2-million worth of damage.

“The event reinforces how important it is to be careful when cooking,” a fire spokesperson told Global News on Wednesday.

READ MORE: Crews called to battle blaze at commercial building in central Edmonton

On Saturday morning, over two dozen firefighters arrived to a blaze at the bakery, which is next to a Burger Baron restaurant in the area of 95 Street and 111 Avenue. Nobody was injured but fire officials said the fire resulted in extensive damage to the bakery while the Burger Baron sustained some smoke damage.

A spokesperson for Edmonton Fire Rescue Services said of the $2.2 million in damage, structural damage accounts for $1.7 million of it while damage to contents accounts for the remaining $500,000.

Story continues below advertisement