Forbes reports that McGraw, the 67-year-old host of talk show Dr. Phil, earned US$79 million between June 1, 2016 and June 1, 2017.
A majority of McGraw’s earnings come after combining his cut of the show’s advertising revenue and product placement deals. The rest comes from his producing credits on The Doctors and Global’s Bull, endorsement deals and public speaking appearances.
Dr. Phil — which sees McGraw offer advice to his guests from his experience as a clinical and forensic psychologist — is one of the most widely syndicated TV shows in the United States.
“If you are going to deliver a particular audience like Dr. Phil does, you are pure gold to your advertisers,” Forbes quotes Les Rose, professor of practice for broadcast and digital journalism at Syracuse University’s Newhouse School.
Rose continues: “If Dr. Phil didn’t appeal to moms at home, then he’d be out of business.”
Check out Forbes’ full list of the Top 10 TV earners below.
- Dr Phil McGraw: $79 million
- Ellen DeGeneres: $77 million
- Ryan Seacrest: $58 million
- Judy Sheindlin (Judge Judy): $47 million
- Simon Cowell: $43.5 million
- Steve Harvey: $42.5 million
- Bill O’Reilly: $37 million
- Sean Hannity: $36 million
- Michael Strahan: $21.5 million
- Heidi Klum: $21 million