Advertisement

‘A ticking time bomb’: B.C. woman urges vigilance after recalled stove burns down home

Click to play video: 'B.C. woman says appliance recalls need to be taken seriously after house burns down due to faulty stove' B.C. woman says appliance recalls need to be taken seriously after house burns down due to faulty stove
WATCH: Tracy Middleton didn't know her stove was under recall until a fire burned down her B.C. home within minutes – Oct 25, 2017

Tracy Middleton’s dishwasher has been unplugged since she found out that thousands in Canada are under a recall.

READ MORE: 61,000 dishwashers recalled in Canada due to fire hazard

Her Bosch dishwasher likely isn’t affected, but she doesn’t want to take any chances. Taking the cautionary road is something she learned the hard way, after a kitchen appliance fire burnt down her Vernon, B.C., home on Dec. 10, 2016.

Tracy Middleton lost her home in an appliance fire last year. Tracy Middleton

Less than one year before that, Middleton had bought the Kenmore Elite stove for a home that was meant to be her and her husband’s retirement sanctuary. It was a Boxing Day deal at the local Sears outlet store.

Story continues below advertisement

“It was really sweet. It was a convection oven. It was just top drawer,” Middleton told Global News.

She took a picture and texted her husband excitedly about the deal — it was an approximately $3,000 stove on sale for $1,679.94. Amazed by the price, she asked workers if there were any known issues with the appliance.

Tracy Middleton took a photo of the stove before buying it. Tracy Middleton

“When we picked up the stove from the Sears store, I said, ‘Is there a recall? Is there a problem?”

They told her ‘No,’ and soon the appliance was in her home.

But it was under a recall in the United States, she would learn later — after her home was ash. Fire investigators confirmed the stove — which was completely turned off — was the culprit.

Story continues below advertisement

WATCH: Recent recalls in Canada

“Ours was the worst write-off I could find in U.S. and Canada,” she said, explaining that the stove had caused fires south of the border.

“We lost more than stuff. That was everything. We lost all our pictures, everything.”

Thankfully, the couple and their dog weren’t home that day. The fire, which started around midnight, engulfed the home within minutes.

“The investigators said this is a big, fast fire.”

13
Photos of Tracy Middleton's home after the fire. Tracy Middleton
23
Photos of Tracy Middleton's home after the fire. Tracy Middleton
33
Photos of Tracy Middleton's home after the fire. Tracy Middleton

“Our house was just a little bungalow, so I don’t know what would have happened if we were in there, if we would have made it or not, or died from all the chemicals and smoke.”

Story continues below advertisement

Now, they live in another home that they had planned on renting out. The furniture in the home is scarce, and the process of rebuilding is emotionally draining, she says.

“To rebuild, that’s the toughest part,” she says. “Whoever goes through this needs to get counselling.”

Tracy Middleton’s neighbour took a video of the housefire. Tracy Middleton

Middleton does in-depth research on each appliance she buys now, and she does regular Google searches on everything she owns looking for new recalls. She hopes others who learn of her story will do the same.

If a product is under recall, take action immediately, she says.

“It’s a ticking time bomb. I’ve been trying to get people to listen. Don’t give it away, don’t sell it. They’re garbage.”

Keeping track of recalls, and how to take action

It’s something Lewis Smith of Canada Safety Council agrees with.

Story continues below advertisement

“Our advice is to always be on the lookout for any recalls impacting you, because using a product that has been deemed unsafe by the manufacturer can put you in harm’s way very quickly,” he said in an email to Global News.

“Don’t ever ignore a recall because the timing isn’t convenient – your personal health and safety are much more important.”

Smith advises Canadians to check Health Canada, and Transport Canada for vehicle recalls, which provide the most up-to-date information. Canadians can also look to news outlets for recall information.

WATCH: Fire safety in the kitchen

In an email to Global News, Health Canada said consumers can keep track of product recalls in several ways.

Story continues below advertisement

The government agency posts all recalls on their website and Twitter. They also recently launched a mobile app for recall alerts.

Other instances of damage caused by recalled products

Kitchen appliances are only one product that can cause damage if not dealt with properly. There have also been instances of recalls of cars which caused injuries.

Toronto Deputy Fire Chief Jim Jessop says fires caused by recalled products aren’t very common in the city. But there have been some instances, specifically one this September caused by a portable air conditioner that has been under recall since December 2016. The incident led to four people being transported to hospital.

READ MORE: Playtex plates, bowls for children recalled in Canada after reports of choking

Toronto Fire Services urged the city’s residents to take recalls seriously following the residential building fire.

In addition to checking for recalls, Jessop told Global News that instructions on how to use appliances properly shouldn’t be ignored.

“The manufacturer’s maintenance instructions should always be followed,” he said.

“Take it seriously.”

Sponsored content