October 10, 2017 7:21 pm
Updated: October 12, 2017 11:14 am

Actor Terry Crews says he was groped by ‘high-level Hollywood executive’

Actor Terry Crews speaks onstage at Netflix Films: "Bright" and "Death Note" panel during Comic-Con International 2017 at San Diego Convention Center on July 20, 2017 in San Diego, California.

Kevin Winter/Getty Images
A A

Hollywood actor and former NFL player Terry Crews revealed on Twitter Tuesday that he was the victim of harassment by a “high-level Hollywood executive” in 2016.

The 41-year-old said the ongoing revelations about Harvey Weinstein were giving him “PTSD” as he was also a victim of a similar incident.

“My wife n I were at a Hollywood function last year n a high level Hollywood executive came over 2 me and groped my privates,” Crews wrote on Twitter as he explained the incident.

“Jumping back I said What are you doing?! My wife saw everything n we looked at him like he was crazy. He just grinned like a jerk.”

WATCH BELOW: The latest on the Harvey Weinstein scandal

The Brooklyn Nine-Nine star said he considered kicking the person’s ass but “I WOULD HAVE BEEN IN JAIL. So we left.”

READ MORE: Gwyneth Paltrow, Angelina Jolie say Harvey Weinstein sexually harassed them

He said he received an apology the next day but the perpetrator never explained his actions.

Story continues below

“I let it go. And I understand why many women who this happens to let it go,” he wrote. “Who’s going 2 believe you? ( few) What r the repercussions?(many) Do u want 2 work again? (Yes) R you prepared 2b ostracized?”

He knows who he is. But sumtimes Uhav2 wait & compare notes w/ others who’ve been victimized in order 2gain a position of strength.”

Crews later added: “I understand and empathize with those who have remained silent.”

He finished, “Hopefully, me coming forward with my story will deter a predator and encourage someone who feels hopeless.”

Last Thursday, the New York Times reported that Weinstein had reached settlements with at least eight different women.

READ MORE: Glenn Close, other celebrities say ‘casting couch is still a reality’

On Tuesday, the New Yorker published a second piece in which another 13 women said they had been abused by the Hollywood mogul.

Other celebrities have come forward in the days after to reiterate that the “casting couch” culture persists in Hollywood.

“No one should be coerced into trading personal dignity for professional success. I feel the time is long and tragically overdue for all of us in the industry, women and men, to unite — calmly and dispassionately — and create a new culture of respect, equality and empowerment, where bullies and their enablers are no longer allowed to prosper,” Actress Glenn Close said in a statement to the New York Times.

In the U.S., 65 per cent of rape cases went unreported between 2006 and 2010, the Bureau of Justice Statistics reported.

The numbers are even higher in Canada with over 90 per cent of sexual assaults going unreported, Statscan reported.

READ MORE: Harvey Weinstein booted from The Weinstein Company over sexual harassment scandal

In 2013, the National Crime Victimization Survey asked 40,000 U.S households about rape and sexual violence. Responses shows 38 per cent of incidents were against men.

The numbers seemed off so researchers contacted the Bureau of Justice Statistics to make sure they were accurate, Slate reported. The bureau confirmed the statistics but couldn’t offer an explanation as to why the numbers had increased.

Terry Crews tells his story on Twitter:

© 2017 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error

Comments

Comments closed.

Due to the sensitive and/or legal subject matter of some of the content on globalnews.ca, we reserve the ability to disable comments from time to time.

Please see our Commenting Policy for more.