September 26, 2017 8:32 pm
Updated: September 26, 2017 8:34 pm

Cuba warns U.S. against ‘hasty decisions’ in mysterious sonic attacks case

WATCH: Secret "sonic weapon" could be giving diplomats in Cuba brain injuries

A A

HAVANA – Cuba’s foreign minister told his U.S. counterpart on Tuesday that it would be regrettable if “hasty decisions not supported by conclusive evidence” were taken over the alleged incidents harming U.S. diplomats and their families in Havana.

Story continues below

Cuba’s top diplomat, Bruno Rodriguez, met U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson in Washington to discuss the mysterious affair threatening the already fragile detente between the two old Cold War foes.

READ MORE: Mysterious injuries suffered by U.S., Canadian diplomats should not be politicized, Cuba says

The United States earlier this year expelled two Washington-based Cuban diplomats over the alleged incidents it says caused symptoms ranging from hearing loss to nausea in U.S. personnel although it has not laid blame on Cuba, which denies any involvement.

WATCH: U.S. expels 2 Cuban diplomats after incidents in Cuba

“The Foreign Minister reaffirmed that the investigation to resolve this matter is still in progress,” the Cuban foreign ministry said in a statement.

READ MORE: Cuba sonic attacks could prompt U.S. to close embassy in Havana: Tillerson

“Cuba has a keen interest in bringing it to closure, for which it is essential to count on the effective cooperation of the U.S. authorities.”

© 2017 Reuters

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.