September 17, 2017 11:37 am
Updated: September 17, 2017 7:10 pm

Important witness comes forward in connection with disappearance of Yvon Lacasse

WATCH ABOVE: The search for a missing senior whose vehicle was used in the alleged abduction of a six-year-old boy continued in Lachute on Sunday. As Global’s Phil Carpenter reports, police have now connected with a possible witness who could help lead them to 71-year-old Yvon Lacasse.

A A

Quebec provincial police have confirmed that a motorcyclist, deemed an important witness in connection with the disappearance of 71-year-old Yvon Lacasse, has been located.

The Sûreté du Québec (SQ) had asked for the public’s help in finding the individual earlier in the day Sunday.

In a tweet, the SQ said the motorcyclist made contact with officers.

The search for Lacasse resumed on Sunday morning in Lachute, Que.

The missing senior is being sought in connection to the vehicle that was used by a 41-year-old man in the alleged abduction of his six-year-old son.

An Amber Alert was issued Thursday after the boy vanished from St-Eustache, Que. The boy’s father was apprehended in Ontario nearly 24 hours later, while the boy’s mother was discovered dead inside the family home in a possible homicide.

The father was driving Lacasse’s vehicle at the time of his arrest.

Story continues below

The child was found unharmed inside the vehicle.

READ MORE: Father in Quebec Amber Alert case hospitalized after suffering unspecified injury

The SQ has focused its search in Lachute after the father’s vehicle, a white Ford F-150, was found at a roadside rest area in the vicinity.

Police said the motorcyclist was spotted at the road stop at around 6:15 p.m. on Sept. 14, the time when Lacasse’s vehicle — a grey Honda CR V — was taken from him.

Volunteers participating in the search led by provincial police were asked to meet at 8:30 a.m. in a parking lot located at the intersection of Rue Principale and Route 329.

Lacasse is described as bald, with brown eyes, five-foot-six and 155 pounds.

The suspect in the Amber Alert case is currently in an Ottawa-area hospital after suffering unspecified injuries while in custody of Ontario Provincial Police (OPP).

The man appeared in an Ontario court on Saturday morning and was to be transferred back to Quebec later in the day.

According to OPP spokesperson Carolle Dionne, he was taken to hospital for assessment and his transfer back to Quebec will depend on his medical evaluation.

Dionne did not divulge the nature or extent of the injuries, or if they were self-inflicted.

There is no word on the possible charges the suspect may face.

Anyone with information is being asked to contact the Sûreté du Québec at 1-800-659-4264.

© 2017 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error

Comments

Comments closed.

Due to the sensitive and/or legal subject matter of some of the content on globalnews.ca, we reserve the ability to disable comments from time to time.

Please see our Commenting Policy for more.

Global News