Forget the $1,319 iPhone X. There are bargains to be had on older models now
With a price tag of over $1,300, Apple’s latest iPhone X seems out of reach for many Canadians. But thanks to the announcement of the newer models, the more frugal shopper can look forward to a price dip on last year’s model.
EBay Canada says prices of the previous generation of iPhone dropped by nearly 10 per cent during the month after the release of a new phone, for three years straight.
The company also said that the amount of transactions of iPhones doubled after the announcement of the iPhone 7; usually an iPhone is sold or bought by a Canadian every 10 minutes, but in Sept. 2016 there was a transaction once every five minutes.
With Tuesday’s announcement of both the iPhone 8 models along with the more expensive iPhone X (pronounced iPhone ten), eBay says now is the time to think of selling your iPhone.
WATCH: Latest coverage of the Sept. 12 Apple announcement
Here are some tips from eBay Canada’s head of Communications, Camille Kowalewski, for both buyers and sellers:
- Do your research to determine an appropriate price point.
- Consider bundling your phone with any accessories you have. Kowalewski says it’s an easy value-add to help you get more money for your phone.
- Include a lot of photos of your phone, including any areas that have some wear and tear, so you are fully transparent and upfront on the condition.
- Think about offering free shipping in Canada, but add appropriate shipping services for international buyers.
- Make sure you properly wipe your data from your phone before you sell it.
- Just like sellers, buyers should do their research on price points.
- You can get good value on at gently used or factory-warranty refurbished phones.
- Make sure you look at details like if it’s locked or unlocked, condition, if it comes with the power cord, etc.
- If you need the phone fast, look at items located within Canada for faster shipping times.
© 2017 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.