A former cabinet minister running to replace Premier Brad Wall as leader of the Saskatchewan Party said he was involved in a collision 20 years ago that killed someone.
Scott Moe said the crash occurred while he was driving on a gravel road near Shellbrook, Sask.
Moe told Global News the crash happened when he crossed the highway before it was safe to do so.
“You ask yourself all sorts of questions as to why it wasn’t me, why it was this way, could have I been 10 minutes earlier or 10 minutes later,” Moe said.
“All of these things run through your head not just in the days after but for the months and years after and you’re not just able to change any of that.”
WATCH BELOW: Scott Moe describes the 1997 fatal crash
Moe says alcohol was not a factor, but a police investigation resulted in a traffic violation.
He says he has been forthcoming about what happened with his constituents in Rosthern-Shellbrook.
He also said he gave details to the media during last year’s provincial election when he was asked about the crash.
Moe is one of five people in the race to become premier after Wall, who will step down as soon as a new party leader is chosen in Saskatoon on Jan. 27.
Moe was first elected to the legislature in 2011 and re-elected in 2016. He has served as the minister of advanced education, environment, the minister responsible for the Saskatchewan Water Corp. and the Saskatchewan Water Security Agency.
He said that every decision he has made since then has been influenced by what happened 20 years ago.
WATCH BELOW: Scott Moe on how the fatal crash impacted his life
Last year, Moe was one of three Sask. Party candidates and two from the New Democrats who disclosed impaired driving convictions to party leaders before the election campaign.
A Saskatchewan Party official said at the time that Moe was convicted in 1992.
Meaghan Craig contributed to this story