Advertisement

British-born boy missing after Barcelona terror attack confirmed dead

Julien Cadman, 7, was missing after the terror attack in Barcelona on Thursday. Facebook / Tony Cadman

The British and Australian governments and Catalan emergency services announced the death of 7-year-old Julian Cadman on Sunday.

The boy, a dual-citizen of Australia and Britain, had been missing since the van attack in Barcelona that killed 13 others seriously injured his mother.

READ MORE: Barcelona aftermath: Family searching for 7-year-old missing in chaos

Julian and his mother, Jom Cadman, were in Barcelona for a family wedding and enjoying the sights when a van sped down Las Ramblas targeting pedestrians. His mother, a 43-year-old from the Philippines who had been living in Australia, was hospitalized.

“He was so energetic, funny and cheeky, always bringing a smile to our faces,” the child’s family said in a statement released by the Australian department for foreign affairs after his death was announced.

Story continues below advertisement

On Friday, Julian’s grandfather posted an appeal on Facebook with Julian’s photo asking for help finding him. The Australian prime minister asked people to pray for him, and the British prime minister said the government was urgently looking into his situation.

The family statement extended sympathy to others coping with losses and thanked all those who helped search for Julian, saying, “Your kindness was incredible during a difficult time.”

“We are so blessed to have had him in our lives and will remember his smiles and hold his memory dear to our hearts.

READ MORE: Catalonia police can’t rule out possibility that van attack suspect crossed into France

The victims of attacks in Barcelona and a nearby resort came from around the world and across generations – a Canadian with an adventurous spirit, a Portuguese woman celebrating her 74th birthday, a 3-year-old Spanish boy enjoying a day out with his family.

Story continues below advertisement

They are among 14 people killed and more than 120 others wounded in Barcelona and the nearby town of Cambrils on Thursday and Friday. They came from nearly three dozen countries, where loved ones are in mourning and celebrating their lost lives.

Sponsored content